Ijeoma is a Partner in the firm’s Corporate and Commercial practice group.
She advises clients on Nigerian law and policy affecting the operation of businesses, the establishment of foreign businesses, foreign investments in Nigeria, company/business laws and regulations. She also provides corporate governance and compliance advice to clients in connection with local and international transactions.
Ijeoma obtained her law degree from the University of Ibadan and she is a member of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators.
A Selection Of Relevant Experience
- Advised Google LLC at different times on a myriad of corporate matters including (i) its entry strategy and establishment of Google in Nigeria; (ii) the potential launch of GPay via a franchise model in Nigeria; proposed launch of a virtual storefront for merchants to display products to users; (iv) Google Pay Offers & Rewards application in Nigeria; and (v) the implementation of the Google Street-View Project in Nigeria which involved advising on the regulatory and commercial regime for the deployment of its geo-mapping equipment in various locations across the country, and liaising with the relevant government parastatals and offices across different states.
- Advised British American Tobacco (BAT) in respect of alternative business options and potential business restrictions across various jurisdictions, arising from the commercial and logistical effects of regional sanctions imposed on certain West African Countries by the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
- Advised one of the largest e-commerce companies on the proposed launch of its consumer operations into Nigeria. This involves advising on all aspects of its business models for expanding into Nigeria including complex and novel issues bordering on trade and customs, importation and distribution of goods, real estate, media, advertising, foreign exchange controls, card payment limits, intellectual property, data protection, licensing & regulatory affairs, consumer goods and retail, technology, anti-bribery, compliance, corporate governance, labour, employment, tax and other strategic and day-to-day operational issues.
- Advised Helios Investment Partners in connection with its acquisition of Sunmark Limited, an international fast-moving consumer goods distributor and manufacturer. The work here covered trademark registration, renewal, management and assignment; negotiating and drafting agreements with Nigerian representatives; representing the client in various brand ownership disputes with its agents and third parties and interfacing with several regulatory authorities in connection with the various claims arising under these disputes; representing the client in a consumer protection dispute arising from claims for alleged damages resulting from use of the clients’ products; and general M&A matters.
- Advised General Electric on a corporate restructuring implemented in connection with its global business combination bringing together industry-leading equipment, services and digital solutions across the entire spectrum of oil and gas development with Baker Hughes.
- Advised American Towers Corporation on its entry into West Africa through its US$1.5 billion acquisition of the telecommunication towers business of Bharti Airtel under a sale and leaseback arrangement, and on its early stage operations in the region.
- Advised Facebook on the regulatory framework of the Nigerian telecommunications industry and maintaining a regulatory tracker on developments and amendments to Nigerian law on OTT services, net neutrality, data floor pricing, data protection and privacy, competition and on tax free data.