Femi is a key Senior associate in the Dispute Resolution and Arbitration practice group.
He holds a Master of Laws Degree in International Commercial Law, from the Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen.
Femi has extensive experience in advising a wide range of clients in complex commercial and public law litigation. He also advises clients on international (white collar) investigations and other corporate anti-bribery and corruption compliance issues.
He also has vast experience in commercial arbitration and was recently a visiting associate in the International Arbitration practice group, at the London offices of Shearman & Sterling LLP.
Femi is a Notary public of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and a member of the arbitration committee of the International Bar Association, as well as an Associate member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK).
A Selection of Relevant Expereience
- Key member of the team that provided Nigerian law advice and support to JPMorgan Chase Bank. (JPM), through Freshfields, in the successful defence of legal proceedings commenced against JPM by the Federal Republic of Nigeria (FRN), relating to payments authorized by the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) from its account with JPM for the controversial sale of OPL 245 to Royal Dutch Shell and Eni.
- Key member of the team that successfully represented Africa’s largest telecoms tower company, IHS Towers in an ad-hoc arbitration and post-arbitration litigation arising out of a U$200million claim by SWAP Technologies under a Managed Services and Colocation Services Agreement over, amongst others, IHS’ refusal to exercise pre-emption rights to purchase SWAP. Successfully reduced IHS’ liability to US$2.9million.
- Successfully represented Google LLC in a claim to enforce the “Right to Erasure of Personal Data” under the Nigeria Data Protection Regulation 2019, (akin to the “right to be forgotten” under Article 17 of the General Data Protection Regulation, 2018 (GDPR) of the European Union (EU)) before the High Court of Lagos State.
- Key member of the team the successfully represented Google LLC and its Nigerian representative in in a landmark defamation case – the first decision by a Nigerian court on the liability of an internet service provider on offensive third-party contents posted on their digital platforms.
- Key member of the team representation an IOC in a US$205,000,000.00 arbitration, arising from the breach of an EPCI contract.
Dispute Resolution,Investigations, White Collar and Compliance (IWC).