Orji A. Uka is a Senior Associate in the Dispute Resolution Practice group.
Orji holds a Master of Law degree in International Business Law from King’s College London. Orji graduated with a First-Class degree from Abia State University in 2010 after which he proceeded to the Nigerian Law School and was subsequently called to the Nigerian Bar.
He has over a decade’s experience advising Nigerian and expatriate clients on diverse areas of Nigerian law and regularly appearing on their behalf before trial & appellate courts as well as arbitral tribunals in high profile commercial and general civil disputes covering a broad range of causes.
Prior to joining Templars, Orji was a key member of the Dispute Resolution teams at two top commercial law firms in Lagos, Nigeria.
A Selection Of Relevant Experience
- Acted as co-counsel, in the landmark litigation that resulted in a $300m judgment for a client in the oil & gas industry and the validation of a significant stabilization statute;
- Part of the team defending a sovereign entity in a multi-million Dollar international arbitration claim in the extractive industry sector;
- Part of the team that successfully defended a 2 Billion Naira arbitration claim on behalf of a client in the insurance industry;
- Recently led the team that successfully represented a client in setting aside an arbitral award on grounds of arbitrator misconduct;
- He led the team that successfully represented a client in the construction industry in an application to enforce an agreement to arbitrate and to obtain an order to stay proceedings pending arbitration;
- He was a member of the team that successfully represented the interest of clients in several multi-billion Naira debt recovery and insolvency disputes;
- He has been part of several litigations and arbitrations aimed at enforcing compliance with watershed infrastructure concession agreements;
- He was part of the team that successfully negotiated a multi-million Dollar settlement for a client in a protracted private equity dispute;
- He was a key member of the team that provided legal advisory services to a client developing Africa’s largest real estate and infrastructure project;
- He was a key member of the team that provided labour and employment law advisory and dispute resolution support for a client in several jurisdictions in Sub-Saharan Africa.