Munachi Michael is a Senior Associate in the firm’s Dispute Resolution and Tax Practice Group.
He has vast experience in complex commercial litigation, arbitration, tax, corporate commercial and power.
He continues to represent both local and international clients in all hierarchies of the Nigerian Courts and tribunals. He has advised companies on structuring and restructuring of complex corporate transactions and power projects.
Munachi graduated from both the Nigerian Law School and the University of Nigeria with honours.
He is an Associate member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation Nigeria and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK. He co-authored “The Tax Disputes and Litigation Review in Nigeria” publication for 2018 and 2019.
A Selection Of Relevant Experience.
- Part of the team that advised The Existing Lenders (Access Bank, Stanbic IBTC Bank and Asset Management Company of Nigeria) in the restructuring of the Geometric Aba Integrated Power Project to unlock an additional US$50 million in debt financing from the African Export-Import Bank (“Afreximbank”).
- Part of the team that represented the Nigerian Stock Exchange Group at the Federal High Court and Court of Appeal in a dispute instituted by aggrieved investors in the Nigerian Stock Exchange, over interpretation of whether a foreign registered company can trade its equities on the Nigerian Stock Exchange Market without being incorporated in Nigeria.
- Part of the team that advised the Central Bank of Nigeria and the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission in the N213 Billion Naira Nigerian Electricity Market Stabilization Facility (CBN-NEMSF).
- Part of the team that represented Tonye Patrick Cole at the Federal High Court through to the Supreme Court in several pre-election disputes emanating from his Gubernatorial candidature for the 2023 Rivers State Governorship election.
- Part of the team that represented TotalEnergies E&P Nigeria Ltd. in a precedent setting appeal from the National Industrial Court which disrupts the new labour jurisprudence on triangular or co-employment relationships in Nigeria.
- Key member of the team that represented Bouygues Construction Nigeria Limited in the negotiation and settlement of all outstanding disputes of the company in all hierarchies of the Nigerian Courts, including arbitration.
- Part of the team that represented Ardova Plc at the Court of Appeal in challenging an action for breach of contract instituted by a former licensee of the company.