Dorothy is a Partner in the Firm’s Finance, Corporate & Commercial Practice Groups.
She has about two decades of experience in providing end-to-end legal advisory, regulatory, compliance and transactional support in the financial services industry and other sectors of the Ghanaian economy.
She holds a Bachelor of Laws (LL. B) degree from the University of Ghana, Legon and a Master of Laws (LLM) degree in Corporate and Commercial Law from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE). She also holds a certificate in Financial Regulations from the Securities and Investment Institute, London, and is a member of the International Division of the Law Society, UK.
Prior to joining TEMPLARS, Dorothy was a Senior Associate at Oxford & Beaumont (now ENSafrica) Ghana, and later the Chief Risk and Compliance Officer at one of Ghana’s foremost financial services groups where she led the group’s expansion into key markets in Eastern and Southern Africa.
In addition to her deep understanding of the Ghanaian market, Dorothy possesses considerable international exposure, having worked with one the world’s leading banks, Standard Chartered PLC at its Accra, London, and Dubai offices in various capacities within Consumer Banking, Legal and Compliance. Dorothy sits on different boards including the board of a sustainable energy start-up and a financial literacy NGO.
A Selection Of Relevant Experience
- Advised a tier 1 Ghanaian bank in connection with a US$40m loan facility to Ghanaian registered telecommunications service provider.
- Advised the International Finance Corporation in connection with a $160 million credit facility to a Ghanaian communication company.
- Advised a tier 1 bank in respect of the grant of a US$ 41 million loan and a commercial loan of US$ 6.9 million to the Government of Ghana.
- Advised the International Finance Corporation in connection with a US$20 million loan facility to a tier 1 Ghanaian bank.
- Conducted corporate governance audits on 5 universal banks in Ghana and the recommendations made were readily adopted.
- Provided company secretarial services to several private companies such as Goldkey Properties, Chase Petroleum and state institutions such as Venture Capital Trust Fund.
- Conducted legal due diligence, advised on and drafted transaction agreements in relation to the acquisition of a local insurance provider by a UK head-quartered Insurance company.
- Conducted legal due diligence on and advised a local manufacturing company in relation to equity listing on the Alternative Market of the Ghana Stock Exchange.
- Credited with establishing the Legal, Governance, Risk and Compliance department of a life insurance company which continues to receive honourable mention from the insurance regulator for having one of the most complex regulatory compliance frameworks within the industry in Ghana. The company was conferred with the Good Governance award in the 2019 Insurance Industry awards and again in 2022.
- Selected to represent the Insurance industry in peer reviews conducted by GIABA (the ECOWAS anti-money laundering implementation group) between 2016 and 2018.